What is PrompTax?
PrompTax is an electronic filing and payment program that's mandatory for certain businesses. The Tax Department notifies you by mail if you're required to participate.
If you want to enroll online - or already have an account and want to login to file and pay - click on the button below.
If you don't enroll online, you must complete and mail us the appropriate enrollment form.
Who must enroll
|Type of Tax
||You're mandated to enroll if your:
|Withholding tax (Metropolitan Commuter Transportation Mobility Tax is paid at the same time as withholding tax)
||Aggregate tax withheld through Form NYS-45, Quarterly Combined Withholding wage Reporting and Unemployment Insurance Returns, filed for the previous tax year is $100,000 or more.
|Sales and compensating use tax
||Tax liability for the June 1 through May 31 period immediately preceding the previous June 1 through May 31 is more than $500,000
|Prepaid sales tax on motor fuel and diesel motor fuel
||Tax liability for the June 1 through May 31 period immediately preceding the previous June 1 through May 31 period is more than $5 million.
|Petroleum business tax
||Tax liability (exclusive of section 301-h carrier tax liability) for the June 1 through May 31 period immediately preceding the previous June 1 through May 31 period is more than $5 million.
If you're a mandatory participant and fail to enroll the Tax Department could assess a $5,000 penalty, plus $500 for each additional month or part thereof that you fail to enroll.
You can voluntarily choose to enroll in the program.
- Withholding tax filers: click on the Login/Enroll Now button above.
- Sales and compensating use tax, prepaid sales tax on motor fuel and diesel motor fuel, petroleum business tax filers enroll using the paper PrompTax enrollment forms or if you prefer to enroll online, you must first call the PrompTax Customer Service Center.
Use one of several payment methods for each tax.
If you have special circumstances and meet certain criteria, you may apply for an exemption from mandatory participation in the PrompTax program.
After you enroll
We'll send you:
- Confirmation of enrollment, including details of your payment option and start date;
- Six-digit access code;
- Eight-character password (if applicable); this will be mailed separately.
For more information
For additional details on required PrompTax participation, program benefits, enrollment, the payment options, filing due dates, and more, see:
- Withholding tax filers, Form TR-370-N, Program Overview
- Metropolitan Commuter Transportation Mobility Tax, Publication 420, Guide to the Metropolitan Commuter Transportation Mobility Tax
- Sales and compensating use tax, prepaid sales tax on motor fuel and diesel motor fuel, or petroleum business tax filers, Form TR-682-N, Participation Notification and Overview
Find Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) in the Business Answer Center.