Skip to main content

Seek relief from a spouse's debt

If you're filing a joint claim for refund or credit and your spouse has a legally enforceable debt, you may qualify for: 

  • nonobligated spouse relief to prevent your portion of the refund from being used to pay the debt.

If we bill you for a debt that belongs to you and your spouse (or former spouse), you may qualify for:

  • innocent spouse relief
  • partial innocent spouse relief
  • separation of liability
  • equitable relief

See Innocent spouse (relief from joint tax liability) to learn more.