Request federal information
There are several ways to request copies of previously filed federal returns or Forms W-2. This information is maintained by the IRS or by the Social Security Administration, not New York State.
To get a copy of your federal return
To request a copy of your previously filed federal tax return, you can:
- Contact your tax preparer.
- Log in to the tax preparation software you used that year. (If you need assistance accessing the software you used, see E-file-approved commercial software: Personal income tax for contact information.)
- Contact the IRS. (Visit Welcome to Get Transcript to learn about your options.)
To get copies of your W-2 forms
If you lost or haven’t received your W-2, you can:
- contact your employer;
- contact the Social Security Administration (SSA); or
- visit the IRS at Transcript or copy of Form W-2 for information.
The IRS provides the following guidance on their website:
Wage and income transcripts are available for up to 10 years but current tax year information may not be complete until July. This transcript doesn't include any state or local tax information reported by your employer to SSA on Form W-2.
The quickest way to obtain a copy of your current year Form W-2 is through your employer. Your employer first submits Form W-2 to SSA; after SSA processes it, they transmit the federal tax information to the IRS. Reminder: Employers have until January 31 to mail W-2s to their employees; you should wait until mid-February to receive your current year W-2 before requesting a copy from your employer.