How to register as a tax return preparer or facilitator
The 2020 Tax Preparer Registration Application is now available. If you have not completed the 2020 Registration Education Requirements, you’ll need to complete them before you can register for 2020. If you're having trouble using or accessing SLMS, see SLMS troubleshooting guide.
Completing your tax preparer registration is easy!
- Log in to your Individual Online Services account. (Don’t have an account? Create one!)
- Select the ≡ Services menu in the upper left-hand corner of your Account Summary homepage.
- Select Tax preparer registration program, the select Register as a tax preparer from the drop-down menu.
- Follow the prompts to complete your registration.
- When you reach the Transaction Confirmation page, select:
- Print to save the confirmation page for your records (it’s proof of your successful registration); and
- Print Certificate and Form to print a copy of the form you filed and your Tax Preparer Certificate of Registration (it contains your registration information and your New York Tax Preparer Registration Identification Number [NYTPRIN]).
Note: You will need to provide a business address to complete your registration. The city and state you enter will be public and viewable in the Registered Tax Preparer Database, available on Open Data New York.
If you need to create an account, you can view our demo to learn how.
When you create your account, keep in mind:
- you must create an Individual account, not a Tax Professional account;
- you must use your personal information, including your Social Security number, and income tax filing history, not your client’s; and
- we may send important messages and information to your account—so check it regularly.
Demo: Individual Account Creation
- Tax preparer registration
- Who is a tax return preparer or facilitator
- Continuing education requirements for tax return preparers