Skip universal navigation
Skip to main content

Department of Taxation and Finance

Request an installment payment agreement

It is in your best interest to pay tax bills immediately to avoid additional interest and penalties. If you cannot pay, you may request an Installment Payment Agreement (IPA).

We base the decision to allow an IPA on a thorough review of:

  • prior history of compliance,
  • current financial condition, and
  • adherence to all department requirements.

To make your request:

  • Log in to your Online Services account (or create an account if you don't already have one), select Payments, bills and notices, and then Request an installment payment agreement; or
  • Have a copy of your bill and call 518-457-5434, enter your taxpayer ID number, and enter the four-digit PIN provided on your billing notice

We can only speak with you or your designated representative if they have a valid power of attorney form on file with us. (This includes a family member or anyone other than the person or principals of the assessed business.) See Power of attorney and other authorizations for the form and more information, including a mailing address.

If you can't meet the IPA requirements, we will start the civil enforcement process. See Publication 125, The Collection Process, for more information.