Information on the taxicab and hail vehicle trip tax
Beginning with trips on or after July 1, 2021, owners and agents of yellow and green cabs do not need to file a return for the New York City taxi cab and hail vehicle trip tax if your Technology Service Provider (TSP) has taken over the collection and filing responsibilities for you. If your TSP is not filing for you, you are still required to collect the tax and file a return.
All owners and agents are responsible for filing returns for the period ending June 30th which is due on or before July 20th.
The Tax Department is in the process of implementing these changes. If you will be affected, visit this page periodically for new information.
The taxicab and hail vehicle trip tax in the Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District is a tax of $0.50 per taxicab and hail vehicle trip that:
- starts and ends in New York City (meaning New York (Manhattan), Kings (Brooklyn), Queens, Richmond (Staten Island), and Bronx counties); or
- starts in New York City and ends in any of the following counties: Dutchess, Nassau, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Suffolk, and Westchester.
What are taxicabs, hail vehicles, and hail bases
|Taxicab||A motor vehicle carrying passengers for hire in New York City, duly licensed with a medallion by the Taxi Limousine Commission of New York City (TLC) and permitted to accept hails from prospective passengers in the street.|
|Hail vehicle||Any for hire vehicle with a street hail livery license issued by the TLC. A hail vehicle is also known as a Boro taxi, street hail livery, or green cab.|
|Hail base||Any base station duly licensed by the TLC that is affiliated with hail license holders. A hail base is also known as a street hail livery base.|
Who must file
You must file and pay the tax as described in following situations.
|If you are:||then you:|
|a medallion owner with an agent,||are responsible for ensuring your agent files and pays on your behalf.|
|a medallion owner without an agent,||must pay the tax and file one return that includes information for all the medallions you own.|
|an agent,||must pay the tax and file one return that includes information for all the medallions and medallion owners you represent.|
|a hail base,||must pay the tax and file one return that includes information for all the hail vehicles affiliated with the hail base.|
Medallion owners with agents: You and your agent are jointly liable for the filing of your taxicab trip tax return. We will start the civil enforcement process if your return is not filed and your tax is not paid.
When to file
All tax is due within 20 days after the end of each quarter. You cannot request an extension of time to file a return.
|Quarter||Return due date|
|January 1 - March 31||April 20|
|April 1 - June 30||July 20|
|July 1 - September 30||October 20|
|October 1 - December 31||January 20|
When the due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, you must file the return on the next business day.
How to file
You must file and pay your trip tax electronically through our website. See Taxicab and Hail Vehicle Web File to learn more.
- Call 518-457-5735 for free interpretation services!
- Taxicab and hail vehicle trip tax in the metropolitan commuter transportation district
- TSB-M-13(8)M, (6)S Updated Information on the Tax on Hail Vehicle Trips in the Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District (en Español)
- TSB-M-12(3)M, (7)S Tax on Hail Vehicle Trips in the Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District Beginning June 1, 2012 (en Español)
- TSB-M-10(11)M, Amendments to the Tax on Medallion Taxicab Rides in the Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District
- TSB-M-09(9)M, Tax on Medallion Taxicab Rides in Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District