Gather Key Information Now to Ensure a Smooth Tax-Filing Process Tax Department shares top 10 list of items to have handy before preparing your tax return
For Release: Immediate,
For press inquiries only, contact: James Gazzale, 518-457-7377
The New York State Department of Taxation and Finance today released its top 10 list of key pieces of information to have on hand when preparing your personal income tax return to meet the new July 15, 2020, deadline. Once you gather this essential information, find out if you’re eligible to take advantage of the Free File software available through the Tax Department’s website.
“The ability to electronically prepare and file your return for free from home is an important option for taxpayers at this time of social distancing,” said New York State Commissioner of Taxation and Finance Michael Schmidt. “Whether you file on your own or hire a preparer, having essential information ready will ease the filing process.”
Top 10 list of essential information
- income statements (wages, interest, and dividends), including W-2 and 1099 forms
- driver license or state-issued ID (for you and your spouse if filing jointly)
- birthdates and Social Security numbers for you, your spouse, and your dependents
- copy of last year’s tax return or the amount of your prior year’s federal adjusted gross income
- statements related to any property taxes paid or mortgage interest payments
- Forms 1095-A, B, or C, Affordable Healthcare Statement
- information related to any credits you’re claiming
- your banking information (account number and routing number)
- NY 529 College Savings Plan information if you have an account
- email address
Take Advantage of Free Filing Software Online and Maintain Social Distancing
Each year, millions of New Yorkers qualify to file their personal income tax returns for free from the convenience of their homes. Taxpayers who earned $69,000 or less in 2019 are eligible to electronically prepare and e-file both their federal and New York State income tax returns by using the Free File software available online.
Nearly 200,000 taxpayers have already filed their returns through the Free File program this year, saving a combined estimate of $40.7 million. To be directed to the free filing options, simply click the Free File your income tax return link on the Tax Department’s website.
To ensure you're not charged a fee, you must go to the Tax Department’s website to complete your return. You’ll save preparation fees, prevent costly errors, and ensure that you receive any refund you’re owed in the most efficient way possible.
The Tax Department has produced a series of video tutorials to assist New Yorkers with the tax return filing process. Topics range from gathering the necessary documents to choosing the right software. You can view the videos at our Get ready to e-file your income tax return webpage.
Reminder: The Tax Department has extended the due date for New York State personal income tax returns to July 15, 2020. The original due date was April 15, 2020. See Tax Department response to novel coronavirus (COVID-19) for additional information.