Skip to main content
Department of Taxation and Finance

Three State Agencies Partner with the Queens Library to Host Workshops for the Self-Employed Two sessions on Tuesday, September 26, to help entrepreneurs and new business owners better understand estimated taxes, workers’ compensation, and unemployment insurance

For Release: Immediate,

For press inquiries only, contact: James Gazzale, 518-457-7377

Three state agencies have partnered with the Queens Library to sponsor free workshops aimed at helping business owners and independent contractors start and grow a business on a solid foundation.

At two sessions—both on Tuesday, September 26, at two different library branches—the agencies will provide tips to the attendees on how to thrive on their own and as they add employees to their operations.

  • The self-employed generally must pay estimated income tax. The Tax Department will explain this requirement and also cover the basics of sales tax.
  • For businesses that eventually hire employees, the Workers’ Compensation Board will explain who needs insurance for work-related injury or illness.
  • The Department of Labor will outline unemployment insurance, the minimum wage, and overtime, as well as highlight free business services, including specialized recruitment, access to its extensive statewide Job Bank, and available tax credits.

The Central Library Branch, at 89-11 Merrick Blvd., Jamaica, will host its workshop in the auditorium from 10 a.m. to noon.

The Flushing Library Branch, at 41-17 Main St., will host its session in the IRC Room from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. A Tax Department employee who speaks Chinese will attend this workshop.

These workshops will appeal to per diem medical professionals; subcontractors such as carpenters, electricians or individuals with related occupations; certain ride-hailing drivers; food-cart or food-truck vendors; lawn care experts; freelance artists and writers; and nail salon workers or hair stylists, to name a few.

Many such workers perform services for employers as independent contractors and receive, at the end of the year, tax Form 1099 rather than a W-2. Form 1099 shows their earnings, without any taxes withheld. A W-2 is sent to employees who have taxes taken out of their paychecks on a regular basis.

“New entrepreneurs and existing businesses should attend these valuable sessions,” said Acting Commissioner Nonie Manion. “They can get the facts and gain knowledge from professionals who deal with self-employment and other critical business issues every day.”

Representatives of the Social Security Administration and Urban Upbound will also attend the meetings.