Skip to main content

New York State Universal header

Behind in Paying Your Income Taxes? Tax Department Offers Payment Plan Sign-up for free; avoid serious penalty and interest charges on what you owe

For Release: Immediate,

For press inquiries only, contact: James Gazzale, 518-457-7377

"I'm behind in paying personal income taxes I owe New York State, but I can't pay that amount right now.  What can I do?"

Have you asked yourself that question lately?  If so, the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance says there is indeed quick action you can take to address any lingering state income tax debt - ask the Department for a payment plan.

"This program has helped thousands of New Yorkers put tax debt behind them.  But the taxpayer must take the first step and contact us right away," Commissioner of Taxation and Finance Thomas H. Mattox said today.

Sign-up For Free

Taxpayers can arrange a payment plan with the Tax Department for free.  It works just like other common payment plans: You reduce your debt over time with affordable monthly payments.

Most of the state's 9.7 million income tax filers pay all the state taxes they owe when they file their returns.  Many use the Department's e-payment option available at its Web site.  Taxpayers who haven't paid, however, have received, or soon will receive, a Balance-Due Notice in the mail.    

"Hard times can fall on anyone, but whatever you do, don't ignore a tax bill," added Commissioner Mattox.  "Unpaid taxes can lead to serious penalty and interest charges."

Taxpayers interested in a payment plan should read Request an Installment Agreement online, or have a copy of their tax bill handy and call the Department at 518-453-8110.

Looking ahead

Want to increase the amount of tax paid during the year so that you may wind up owing less at tax time? Depending on the kind of income earned, you can do the following:

  • If you earn wages
    Use Form IT-2104, Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate, to increase how much New York State tax is withheld from your paycheck (by reducing your allowances). Give the completed form to your employer.
  • If you pay estimated tax wages
    You can increase the amount of estimated tax you pay with Form IT-2105, Estimated Income Tax Payment Voucher for Individuals.

For more information