Senior citizens receiving the Enhanced STAR exemption
Senior citizens receiving Enhanced STAR are not affected by the new registration requirement. Seniors must, however, take steps to ensure that they continue receiving Enhanced STAR.
Seniors receiving Enhanced STAR who reside:
- outside of New York City must continue to:
- apply annually, or
- participate in the Income Verification Program.
- in New York City will be contacted by the New York City Department of Finance when they need to renew.
If you are receiving Basic STAR but will be eligible for Enhanced STAR in 2014, you should:
- apply for Enhanced STAR with your assessor, and
- register for Basic STAR with the Tax Department (to ensure you keep the Basic STAR if the assessor determines you're ineligible for the Enhanced STAR).
For more information