Update your roll file based on the STAR Credit Eligible Report (Report #8)
Assessors and county real property tax directors
Before the processing of school tax bills.
To notify STAR credit recipients that they will receive a check instead of the exemption, the STAR credit program requires this language to appear on tax bills:
An estimated STAR check has been or will be mailed to you by the NYS Tax Department. Any overpayment or underpayment can be reconciled on your next tax return or STAR credit check.
Note that because tax bills no longer include the dollar amount of the STAR credit, there is no need to indicate whether the property owner will receive the Basic or Enhanced STAR credit. Therefore, only the 99999 code is necessary to designate property owners who will receive either the Basic or Enhanced STAR credit.
Note: If a registered property owner does not appear on your list, this does not mean they won’t receive a STAR credit check this year; we continue to approve registrations daily.
To simplify the process of adding STAR credit recipients to your roll file, we’re providing you with a utility and downloadable report. If you don’t add the STAR credit code or description to parcels on your roll file, the required language will not appear on tax bills.
For RPSV4 users: STAR credit bulk update transaction file
We strongly recommend this option for RPSV4 users. To update the affected parcels, you can use the STAR Credit Update Utility, which is available in the RPSV4 Administration – Update Program – STAR Management module. The utility will update exemption fields with the “99999” marker exemption codes for those parcels that will receive a STAR credit check.
To run the STAR Credit Update Utility:
- Your RPSV4 database must be updated to release R2016.2118/776, which is available from Real Property System.
- You will need RPS administrative update rights to run the transaction file against your database. If you don’t have the necessary rights, contact your RPS database administrator.
- County staff responsible for database updates must select municipal transaction files individually.
- Processing instructions are contained within the STAR Credit Update user interface.
- You will have the option to select the roll year against which transactions will be applied.
- Prior to tax bill processing, you must remove STAR exemption data for mobile homes and cooperative units that will receive the STAR credit.
- Batch transactions will not act on parcels that meet the following criteria; you will have the opportunity to manually add the “99999” marker exemption code where appropriate:
- Property Class Code = 416
- Owner Code = P or Q
- The parcel has multiple STAR exemptions
For all assessors
The report lists all parcels that will receive a STAR credit check as of the date of the report. If a registered property owner does not appear on your list, this does not mean they won’t receive a STAR credit check this year; we continue to approve registrations daily.
Localities that do not use RPSV4 should use the report to update their roll file.
All assessors can save a copy of this file as a record of the year’s STAR credit recipients.
Contact your ORPTS customer service team.