Please note that the STAR program has changed. Learn more.
Your school property tax bill must clearly state your STAR exemption amount and your tax savings. If your taxes are held in an escrow account, you should receive a receipt that includes your STAR information.
Most STAR recipients save several hundred dollars due to the Basic or Enhanced STAR exemptions. Several factors impact your savings, including the amount of:
- your property's assessed value that is exempt from property taxes due to STAR
- taxes collected by your school district
- prior year savings (STAR savings cannot increase by more than 2% the following year)
STAR exemption amounts vary based on:
- location (some counties are adjusted upwards to account for higher home values and higher taxes)
- whether the municipality conducted a reassessment
- the level of assessment of the individual municipality
- annual adjustment based on the rate of inflation (Enhanced STAR only)
- STAR suspension due to State tax liability