STAR Credit Implementation Guide for Local Governments and School Districts
The STAR credit program provides eligible property owners with an advanced tax credit to help pay property taxes. New homeowners register with the Department of Taxation and Finance to receive a STAR credit check rather than apply to local assessors for the STAR property tax exemption.
Local assessors, county real property tax (RPT) directors, school tax bill processors, school district officials, and the Tax Department are all committed to providing homeowners with a timely credit check. All have invested resources to meet this objective, and additional tax resources have been assigned this year to work with local officials and schools to assist as early and as often as needed. The Tax Department will also be using a new system for registration, validation, and calculation that will expedite check processing and reduce the risk of error.
This guide was developed to assist assessors, county RPT directors, school tax bill processors, and school district officials by providing an overview of the process, timelines, and instructions. Instructions are included for:
Assessors and county RPT directors
- Transmit tentative and final assessment rolls to the Tax Department
- Send mobile home and co-op spreadsheets to the Tax Department
- Standardize STAR exemption naming conventions
- Update the roll file with STAR credit recipients
School tax bill processors
- Apply STAR credit guidelines to your tax billing process
- Confirm that STAR exemption naming conventions are standardized on tax bill extracts
School district officials
It’s critical that we receive files timely to avoid delays in issuing the checks. Please don’t hesitate to contact us for help if you have any questions, or if you’re having difficulties meeting the requirements. Working together, we can achieve our common goal of timely and accurate STAR credit checks for the homeowners in your communities.
- Step-by-step guide to the STAR credit process
- Contact information for local officials
- Timelines for local officials:
- Webinar presentation: