E-file returns contain less errors and process more quickly
Avoid the most common filing errors
- Verify your identification number on your return. This is the number issued by the Social Security Administration or Internal Revenue Service. (If the identification number on your W-2 statement is wrong, contact your employer to obtain a corrected W-2 statement.)
- Indicate on the return if you maintained living quarters in New York City.
- Include the total amount of tax withheld during the year. Add all federal forms W-2, Wage and Tax Statements you received.
- Include New York City and Yonkers tax if required.
- Sign the paper return -- both spouses must sign a joint return.
- File your return or extension request on or before the due date.
- Choose the appropriate mailing address.
For specific filing instructions, refer to the instructions of the return that you file: Full-year resident forms, Part-year resident forms or Nonresident forms.
Lost your federal Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement?
Looking for wage and withholding information?
Video: Avoiding Common Income Tax Filing Errors