New York State Income Tax Web File
Most full-year New York State residents can Web File their state return and credit forms directly on our website through Online Services—for FREE.
Benefits of Web File include:
- faster refunds—up to 2x faster than paper filing
- quick and simple filing—file in as few as 10 minutes
- instant confirmation that we received your return
- no visits to the post office or stamps required
Who can Web File
See Qualifications to Web File for tax year 2015 to learn if you're eligible to Web File. To be eligible, you must have been a full-year New York State resident in 2015.
If you are filing a return for tax year 2014, see Qualifications to Web File for tax year 2014.
What you can Web File
You may Web File:
- Form IT-201, Resident Income Tax Return, by itself.
- Form IT-201, Resident Income Tax Return, with one or more of the following credits:
- one or more of the following credits by themselves:
Note: Only the credits listed above are availble when you Web File.
If you wish to claim a credit that is not available when you Web File, you may:
- e-file for FREE using brand-name software accessed through our website,
- e-file using approved commercial software that you purchase, or
- file a paper credit claim.
See Income tax credits for information about all available personal income tax credits.
You can upload and attach federal schedules and forms, such as Schedule C, Profit or Loss from Business, or Schedule D, Capital Gains or Losses, to your return.
You do not need to attach the following federal main forms to your return:
- Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement
Save all documents relevant to your return for your records.
How to Web File
Web Filing is easy!
- Log in to your Individual Online Services account (you will need to create an account if you don't already have one).
- Select Personal income tax from the left-hand menu.
- Select File a return or extension from the dropdown.
Submitting your return
When submitting your return, you (and your spouse) must agree to the eSignature statement provided.
We will immediately send you a confirmation indicating we received your return once you submit it.