Skip to main content

About e-file

Most New York State taxpayers can e-file their returns. If you earned  $73,000 or less last year, you can Free File using brand name software accessed through our website. If you earned more, you can purchase approved commercial software or use a paid tax preparer to e-file your return.

Forms you can e-file

Note: You may electronically file (e-file) your New York State return for tax years 2020, 2021, and 2022, and estimated tax for tax year 2023 using approved commercial software.

All personal income tax forms can be e-filed, including:

  • resident, nonresident, part-year resident, and amended returns;
  • returns for tax years 2020, 2021, and 2022;
  • Form IT-2105, Estimated Tax Payment Voucher for Individuals; and
  • Form IT-370, Application for Automatic Six-Month Extension of Time to File for Individuals.

Acknowledgment that the department received your return

Your filing software will issue confirmation that the New York State Tax Department  received and accepted your return.

A small percentage of e-filed returns have errors. If your return has an error and is not accepted, your software company will notify you and identify the error so you can fix it. You can resubmit the corrected return electronically. See Correcting a mistake on an e-filed return for more information.

Copy of your e-filed New York State tax return

Do not mail a copy of your return to the Tax Department. 

Keep a copy of your completed return with your other tax documents (for example, Forms W-2, W-2G, 1099-DIV, 1099-INT, and 1099-R). You will need this information for verification purposes if you need to contact us.

Refund options

You can receive your refund up to twice as fast when you choose direct deposit as your refund method. It's the fastest way to get your tax refund. To avoid delays, provide us with, and confirm, your bank account and routing numbers on your e-filed return.

You may also choose to receive your refund as a check when you e-file your return.

Payment options

If you would like to make an income tax return payment, you can pay:

  • from your bank account, either:
    • on your e-filed tax return—you can schedule your payment for any date up to and including the due date; or 
    • directly on our website through your Individual Online Services account. (Don't have an account? Create one.)
  • by most major credit or debit cards through Online Services.
  • by check or money order.

Correcting a mistake on an e-filed return  

If we find an error and reject your e-filed return, correct the error that caused the rejection  and resubmit your return.

If you find an error after we accepted your e-filed return, submit an amended return using your software.

Note: You must file a paper return to amend tax year 2019 and prior. See How to change or amend a filed return.

Learn more