More about e-file and Web File
If you need to file a New York State tax return or wish to claim a credit, there are two free options for electronically filing with the Tax Department.
- E-file option
You can prepare and e-file both your federal and state income tax returns at no cost using brand-name software accessed through our website if:
• you are a New York State resident, a nonresident, or a part-year resident, and
• your income was less than $62,000 in 2015.
- Web File option
You can prepare and Web File your New York State tax return at no cost directly on our website if:
• you are a full-year New York State resident, and
• you meet the other eligibility requirements.
Note: Not all returns and credits can be Web Filed. If you are eligible to Web File for tax year 2015, you may Web File:
• Form IT-201, Resident Income Tax Return
• Form IT-214, Real Property Tax Credit
• Form NYC-210, New York City School Tax Credit
• Form IT-272, College tuition credit or itemized deduction
• Form IT-213, Empire State child credit
• Form IT-114, Family tax relief credit
• New York City household credit
• New York State household credit
• metropolitan commuter transportation mobility tax (MCTMT)
• Form IT-203-A, Business allocation schedule
See Qualifications to Web File for tax year 2014 for information on what you can Web File for tax year 2014.
Why you should file electronically
- faster refunds—up to 2x faster than paper filing
- automatic encryption of your personal information
- confirmation that we received your return or claim
- no visits to the post office or stamps required
Purchasing commercial software
Many New Yorkers already purchase software to prepare their tax returns. While software providers can charge you for using their software to prepare your tax return, commercial software providers cannot charge you extra for electronically filing.
See our list of E-file approved commercial software providers.
Using a paid tax preparer
Tax professionals authorized to electronically file federal tax returns can electronically file New York State tax returns on your behalf. In fact, most tax professionals are required to electronically file their clients' returns.
We send a confirmation to your preparer confirming that your return was received and accepted.
Forms you can e-file
Almost every personal income tax return can be e-filed, including:
- resident, nonresident, and part-year resident returns;
- returns for tax years 2013, 2014, and 2015; and
- 2015 amended returns.
You cannot Web File:
- nonresident and part-year resident returns;
- returns for tax year 2013 or earlier, or
- amended returns.
Signing your return
Signing your e-filed New York State return is easy. You don’t need to mail us anything. Just read and agree to the eSignature statement at the bottom of the Review and Verify page when you electronically file.
Acknowledgment that the department received your return
We issue confirmation that we received and accepted your return.
A small percentage of e-filed returns have errors. If your return has an error and is not accepted, we will notify you and identify the error so you can fix it. You can resubmit the corrected return electronically. See Correcting a mistake on an e-filed return for more information.
Don't mail a copy of your New York State tax return
Don’t mail a copy of your return to the Tax Department. Keep a copy of your completed return with your other tax documents (for example, Forms W-2, W-2G, 1099-DIV, 1099-INT, and 1099-R).
However, if you owe money and do not choose an electronic payment option, you must mail your payment with Form IT-201-V, Payment Voucher for Income Tax Returns.
E-file with direct deposit is the fastest way to get your tax refund. Confirm your bank account and routing numbers when you provide us with your banking information to avoid delays.
You may also select the debit card refund option. If you don't select direct deposit or debit card refund options, we'll mail you a check for your refund.
Paying an amount due on an e-filed return
|How you can pay||How it works|
Directly from your bank account (electronic funds withdrawal)
Check or money order
Note: Follow the instructions on the form.
|Credit Card (2.25% convenience fee)||
We have updated our credit card features to:
|we find the error and reject your e-filed return,||
correct the error that caused the rejection and any other errors you noticed after transmitting. Then, retransmit the corrected return.
you find an error after we accepted your e-filed return,
correct the error.
If your return is for tax year 2015, you can e-file your amended return or complete and mail an amended paper return.
If your return is for a tax year prior to 2015, you must complete and mail an amended paper return.
You cannot Web File an amended return.