Pay income tax directly from your bank account
Complete the following steps to pay your income tax balance from your checking or savings account.
- Check the ‘To pay by – electronic funds withdrawal’ box on your income tax form.
- Enter your bank's nine-digit routing number. See the sample check below to locate your checking account routing number. Your bank can provide your savings account routing number.
- Enter your bank account number. See the sample check below to locate your checking account number (up to 17 characters). Do not include your check number. Your savings account number is available on your preprinted deposit slips, your passbook, or other bank records.
- Enter an electronic funds withdrawal date.
- If you designate a weekend or bank holiday, the bank will withdraw the payment on the next business day.
- If you specify a date later than the filing due date, the money will be withdrawn from your account on the due date.
- If you file your return after the due date, the money will be withdrawn from your account on the day we process your return.
Important bank information
Debit block services protect your bank accounts from unauthorized electronic charges. The block (or filter) provides stringent control over electronic transactions posted to bank accounts. Your bank will only process authorized transactions.
Check with your bank before setting up a debit transaction so your payment will not be rejected by the bank. See our debit block information.
- We will only take the amount of money that you authorize from your account
- If we cannot process your payment or you owe an additional amount, we will send you a bill which may include interest and penalty
- You should monitor your bank account to verify that the payment was successful
For more information, see ACH debit benefits and information.