Skip universal navigation

New York State Universal header

Skip to main content

Tax warrants and liens

A tax warrant is a legal action against you and creates a lien against your real and personal property.

What happens

  • the warrant is a public record stating that you owe taxes to New York State
  • we have the right to collect your debt through a levy, income execution, and seizure and sale of property
  • the warrant is filed with your local county clerk's office and the NYS Department of State
  • the action may show up on your credit report making it more difficult for you to get a loan or buy and sell property

What to do next 

Once you pay your bill in full, we will notify the Department of State and the County Clerk. This will show that the tax warrant is satisfied and remove the lien against your property.

To ask questions:

  • call the number on the notice you received
  • if you do not have your notice, call 518-457-5893

Search for warrants and liens at:

Child support warrants and liens

  • call 518-485-6820

  • write:

    NYS Department of Taxation and Finance
    Civil Enforcement Division
    Child Support Enforcement Section
    WA Harriman Campus
    Albany, NY 12227-5350

Selling property - If there's a lien on property you want to sell, you must pay the debt in full with guaranteed funds. We can then issue a Notice of Pending Warrant Satisfaction. Most title companies accept this as proof the lien will be removed.

Bankruptcy and tax warrants - We stop collection against people who file for bankruptcy. You may continue to receive statements of your tax liabilities. If you have questions about how your bankruptcy affects the tax warrant call 518- 457-3160.

Credit reports - We don't report tax warrants to credit reporting agencies. However, warrants are a matter of public record. If you believe incorrect information is on a credit report, you may dispute it with the credit reporting agencies. The major credit bureaus are:

Your rights - It is important for you to understand your rights during the collection process. We encourage questions at any time. You may call the number provided in your notice.

You may have someone represent you - Most taxpayers resolve their differences with us on their own. If you prefer to authorize someone such as a tax preparer or family member to work with us, they will need to file the appropriate form. See Power of attorney and other authorizations to find the appropriate form.