Choose one of the ways below that best describes how you'd like to authorize a tax professional to interact with the Department on your behalf. You'll then learn which forms to complete and how to submit them.
|To authorize someone to:
||You should use:
Perform transactions through an Online Services account.
- Access your information
- Electronically file returns on your behalf
- View and pay tax bills or request an Installment Payment Agreement
Speak to a Department representative and receive confidential taxpayer information relating to filings, assessments, and notices.
E-ZRep Form TR-2000 Tax Information Access and Transaction Authorization (See how to submit the form.)
TR-2000.1 provides a list of transactions that can be delegated through Online Services
Although E-ZRep allows you to limit your authorization to specific tax types (for example, sales, income, withholding), you can't limit your authorization to specific tax filing periods.
If you give someone authorization for sales tax, for example, they'll have access to your sales tax information for all filing periods.
|Represent you in virtually all Tax Department matters, including:
- Make legally binding decisions on your behalf (audits, conciliation conferences, settlement agreements)
- Speak to a Department representative and receive confidential taxpayer information relating to filings, assessments, notices, collections of debt or to request an Installment Payment Agreement
|Form POA-1 Power of Attorney (See how to submit the form.)
Form ET-14 Estate Tax Power of Attorney for estate tax matters only.
Unlike E-ZRep, the power of attorney allows you to impose limitations for tax periods, tax types, and tax matters.
How to submit the form:
E-ZRep Form TR-2000
Online authorization is fast and easy
- Complete paper form and provide it to your tax professional.
- Your tax professional will enter the information from the form through Online Services and receive access to your information and authority to receive your information immediately.
- Your tax professional keeps the form.
Forms POA-1 and ET-14
Complete paper form and submit it to the Tax Department.
Fax: (518) 435-8617
Mail: POA Central Unit
NYS Tax Department
WA Harriman Campus
Albany, NY 12227
Please allow 2-3 business days from receipt of the form for authorization.