Video: STAR Registration
Demo: STAR Registration
Video: Q&A on STAR Registration
Video: Preguntas y Respuestas
sobre Inscripción en STAR
Senior citizens receiving the Enhanced STAR exemption are not affected by the new registration requirement. Learn more.
New homeowners applying for the Basic STAR exemption do not need to register this year. Learn more.
New legislation requires all homeowners receiving a Basic STAR exemption to register with the New York State Tax Department in order to receive the exemption in 2014 and subsequent years.
- Homeowners will not have to register in order to receive their 2013 STAR exemptions.
- Homeowners will not have to re-register every year. Based on the information provided in the registration process, the Tax Department will monitor homeowners' eligibility in future years.
How to register
You can register for the STAR exemption online. You'll need to:
- provide a STAR code (we're mailing codes to all Basic STAR recipients; or you can use the STAR code lookup)
- provide the names and social security numbers for all owners of the property and spouses
- confirm that the property is the primary residence of one of its owners (married couples with multiple residences may only claim one STAR exemption)
- confirm that the combined income of the owners and their spouses who reside at the property does not exceed $500,000
- confirm that no resident owner received a residency-based tax benefit from another state
- OR -
You can register by calling (518) 457-2036
- Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 8:00 pm
- Saturday, 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
For telephone assistance for the hearing or speech impaired (by TDD):
- Call us at 518-485-5082; or
- Dial 711 to get the NYS Relay Service and provide the operator with the phone number 518-457-2036
- OR -
Register at a location near you. This week, we're holding registration events to provide direct assistance for homeowners in Brooklyn, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany, Binghamton and Long Island.
Registration started on August 19, 2013 and will continue through December 31, 2013.
For more information